This Watery Wednesday we’re celebrating Sharks, the ocean’s top predators! These amazing animals are often feared, which is sad because they do not deserve such a terrible reputation. They come in all shapes and sizes and eat everything from large mammals to tiny plankton!
SHARK FUN FACTS:
1) Sharks have been on the planet for 400 million years.
2) Some species of sharks have not changed much in the last 64 million years!
3) There are over 400 species of sharks and they are found in every ocean on earth!
4) Sharks can smell 1 drop of blood in a million drops of water!
5) A shark skeleton is made of cartilage, the same tissue that makes up your ears and nose!
6) Whale sharks are the largest species of shark!
7) Some sharks will use thousands of teeth in a lifetime.
8) Bull sharks can live in fresh water habitats.
9) Sharks are covered in dermal denticles. They are enamel covered plates.
10) Sharks have a lateral line that is made up of jelly filled canals. This helps them detect movement or prey.
Sharks are seriously cool! They are also in serious trouble and it’s up to us to help them out! One great way to adopt a shark! No, we don’t mean bring one home!
Check out the for ways to help!