PENGUIN WEEK DAY #3
We’re off to South Georgia Island to meet a crested penguin who spends most of their life in the ocean, but form gigantic colonies during breading season! So let’s grab our coats and head down towards the south pole!
MEET THE MACARONI PENGUIN!
Diet: Carnivore: krill
Length/Weight: 28”/ 7 ¾-14 lb
Conservation Status: vulnerable
- Macaroni penguins have a yellow crest of feathers on their head.
- They were named after the macaroni hat of the 1800s.
- Macaroni penguins are very vocal.
- Macaroni penguins spend most of their time at sea.
- They come ashore and form large breeding colonies.
- Macaroni penguins form lifelong pair bonds.
- Both male and female macaroni penguins incubate the egg.
We just love these little penguins with their fun name and their yellow crest of feathers on their head! We must see what we would look like with a fun crest on our heads!