We celebrated Earth Day this year by helping with a trail clean up at our local natural history museum, Fernbank Museum of Natural History. We had a great time, pulled weeds and replanted some local plants that grow fruit that deer and racoons eat!
We didn’t see the beavers ….
Beaver retention pond
Part of the trail we worked on!
Plants we transplanted!
Here we are at the registration table!
We also made a coloring sheet to celebrate Earth Day! We would love to see your artwork and tell us how you’ll be celebrating this fabulous holiday! We’ll be playing our Backyard Bingo Game (included below with coloring sheet!)
Categories: adventure, Animals, backyard, Children, conservation, crafts, earth day, education, Environment, nature, science, wildlife
Tags: adventure, animals, backyard, children, conservation, crafts, earth day, education, environment, nature, science, wildlife
DAD’S WEEK DAY #2
We’re staying in South America today to meet this exceptional amphibian dad! This frog was discovered Charles Darwin himself! Grab your boots and rain gear because we’re going to a mountainous rainforest to meet these amazing dads!
MEET THE DARWIN’S FROG!
Range/Habitat: Southern South America/ mountain rainforest
Diet: Carnivore: insects, small animals
Length: up to 1 ¼ “
Conservation Status: common
- Darwin’s Frogs have sharp pointy snouts that look like leaves.
- Male Darwin’s frogs attracted females with a low call that sounds like a bell.
- They are nocturnal (active at night).
- Female Darwin’s frogs lay around 30 eggs.
- Male Darwin’s frogs protect the eggs for about two weeks and then scoop them up in their vocal sacs.
- The eggs hatch in their vocal sacs, where the tadpoles eat the yolk from the egg. They emerge from dad’s vocal sac as little froglets!
These little funny look frogs are spectacular dads. It’s pretty crazy that they carry around the eggs in their mouths until they are little frogs!
Categories: amphibians, Animals, Children, earth day, Environment, frogs, nature, rainforests, science, Uncategorized, wildlife
Tags: amphibians, animals, children, education, environment, frogs, nature, science, wildlife
EARTH DAY 2012!
Today we’re celebrating the Earth, our home and without it we would be lost! Today is a day to celebrate our precious earth and all the resources it provides us, like air, water, food and shelter! We all need to work to protect those special resources! We’ve come up with some fun activities and ideas to help you celebrate!
- Take a Hike! Get out and enjoy nature, bring a camera and watch for animals !
- Visit your local zoo or aquarium and join in on their activities!
- Play our Backyard Bingo Game!
- Make a recycled craft like this crocodile, angelfish, or milk jug bird feeder!
- Start a garden in your backyard.
- Recycle at home.
- Switch out household cleaners for vinegar based ones!
- Play one of our Earth Day Word Searches! One for kids and one for adults!
- Go bird watching.
- Draw your favorite animal!
- Make Dirt! You need chocolate pudding, cool whip, and oreo cookies! Crush the cookies and stir in with the cool whip and pudding! Put in a cup and then top with more crushed cookies! Add gummy worms to your dirt!
Categories: Animals, Children, crafts, earth day, education, Environment, nature, science, wildlife
Tags: animals, children, crafts, earth day, education, environment, nature, science, wildlife