SEA STAR BEAN BAG
We’re making stuffed sea star bean bags for World’s Oceans Day! We hope you like them! Share your photos of your sea stars too!
- Sea Star Pattern
- Felt (any color)
- Hot glue gun (used by an adult)
- Flax seed or stuffing
- Pom poms or googly eyes
1) Cut out pattern.
2) Cut out two sea stars on felt.
3) Hot glue the two pieces together, leaving a small opening.
4) Put the flax seed in the sea star. If you don’t have a funnel, you can easily make one with paper, by rolling it in a cone shape. If you don’t have flax seed, stuffing or small dry beans will work too.
5) Make sure you don’t overstuff it. Then glue the opening shut.
6) Glue on the eyes and draw on the mouth.
You’re done! Toss your sea star, use him as a paper weight, or just give him a hug!
Categories: Animals, Children, crafts, education, Environment, nature, oceans, science, sea stars, wildlife, Worlds Oceans Day
Tags: animals, children, crafts, education, environment, nature, oceans, science, wildlife
HAPPY WORLD’S OCEANS DAY!!
We’re celebrating the world’s oceans and their inhabitants today! The oceans of the world are magnificent in many ways! We land dwelling creatures have a hard time wrapping our heads around the oceans’ size and depth! Today we’re going to celebrate this watery habitat by sharing some fun facts and photos! We’ll also be sharing ways for you to help keep our oceans clean and healthy! And please share with us what you love about the ocean and its animals!
- It’s estimated that 50-80% of life on earth live in the ocean.
- The oceans have 99% of living space on the planet!
- Humans have only explored 5-10% of the world’s oceans.
- The oceans cover 71% of the earth’s surface!
- The deepest point in the ocean is the Marianas Trench in the Pacific Ocean!
- The Great Barrier Reef is the largest living structure on earth!
- The oceans absorb CO2 to help keep our air clean.
- The ocean absorbs heat from the atmosphere and distributes that warmth around the planet!
Wow! The ocean is sooo large and strange! Can you believe humans have only explored 10% of them? We have so much to learn! Let’s check out some photos of the some of the wild and wonderful creatures that call the ocean their home!
It is vital that we keep the world’s oceans clean and healthy not just for the animals that call it home, but for the land dwelling animals too! Want to know some easy ways to help? Well, we have those for you right here!
- Pick up your trash! Trash can float into the ocean and it is often mistaken for food by many animals!
- Pick up your pet’s waste. Poop is not good for anyone J!
- Participate in a local beach or river clean-up! Remember that all rivers eventually make their ways to the oceans and so can the trash in them.
- Use cloth or reusable bags when shopping. Plastic bags are a big killer of ocean life. Sea turtles especially mistake them for their favorite food- jellies.
- Eat Sustainable Seafood. We are eating many species in to extinction. Check out Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch Program! They even have a smart phone app that helps you pick out the best seafood to eat!
- When you fish, make sure you throw away extra line and hooks. The hooks can become embedded in all kinds of creatures and the line can be swallowed or wrap around an animal.
- Cut up your soda six pack rings.
- Join an organization that works to protect the world’s oceans, like the Ocean Conservancy!
- Visit your local aquarium and learn about some amazing animals! Also learn what your aquarium is doing for conservation!
Categories: Animals, Children, education, Environment, fish, mammals, nature, oceans, octopus, penguins, science, turtles, wildlife, Worlds Oceans Day
Tags: animals, children, education, environment, fish, mammals, nature, oceans, science, wildlife, Worlds Oceans Day